Review: Snow Falling by Jane Gloriana Villanueva


36100763
Title: Snow Falling
Author: Jane Gloriana Villanueva
Publisher: Adams Media
Rating: 4/5 Stars
Paperback, 240 Pages
Published November 2017


Summary: It’s been a lifetime (and three seasons) in the making, but Jane Gloriana Villanueva is finally ready to make her much-anticipated literary debut! Jane the Virgin, the Golden Globe, AFI, and Peabody Award–winning The CW dramedy, has followed Jane’s telenovela-esque life—from her accidental artificial insemination and virgin birth to the infant kidnapping and murderous games of the villainous Sin Rostro to an enthralling who-will-she-choose love triangle. With these tumultuous events as inspiration, Jane’s breathtaking first novel adapts her story for a truly epic romance that captures the hope and the heartbreak that have made the television drama so beloved. Snow Falling is a sweeping historical romance set in 1902 Miami—a time of railroad tycoons, hotel booms, and exciting expansion for the Magic City. Working at the lavish Regal Sol hotel and newly engaged to Pinkerton Detective Martin Cadden, Josephine Galena Valencia has big dreams for her future. Then, a figure from her past reemerges to change her life forever: the hotel’s dapper owner, railroad tycoon Rake Solvino. The captivating robber baron sets her heart aflame once more, leading to a champagne-fueled night together. But when their indiscretion results in an unexpected complication, Josephine struggles to decide whether her heart truly belongs with heroic Martin or dashing Rake. Meanwhile, in an effort to capture an elusive crime lord terrorizing the city, Detective Cadden scours the back alleys of the Magic City, tracking the nefarious villain to the Regal Sol and discovering a surprising connection to the Solvino family. However, just when it looks like Josephine’s true heart’s desire is clear, danger strikes. Will her dreams for the future dissolve like so much falling snow or might Josephine finally get the happy ever after she’s been dreaming of for so long?

As soon as I found out that this book was going to be published, I immediately put it at the top of my Christmas list for so many reasons - I'm a huge Jane the Virgin fan, I'm a total romance junkie, and watching Jane follow her passion for writing on the show has been such a huge motivation when it came to my writing. So before I review the book, I think I have a little bit of explaining to do here, so let's start with that.

For those of you who don't know, Jane the Virgin is a television show that airs on the CW, and it's my favorite show of all time. It's about a young teenage virgin who finds herself accidentally artificially inseminated, and four seasons in, tons of drama, hilarity, romance, and thrills have ensued. It's meant to be followed like a telenovella, and the drama in it certainly is up to par! But there's so much drama going on that I can't even begin to explain it here, so I recommend starting the show to catch up on your own. (The first three seasons are on Netflix, and the fourth season is currently airing on the CW every Friday night at 9pm now!) 

Okay. So back to my explanation. In the show, as I mentioned, Jane is an aspiring writer. (Spoiler alerts coming!) She eventually gets her novel published and accomplishes her biggest goal of becoming an author. And that's where this book comes in! The actual Simon & Schuster hired a ghostwriter to write the actual book that Jane was supposed to write, and it became a real, live novel! So that's where we're at with that.

And now onto the summary of the actual book. It's the story of a strong, independent woman who works at a hotel and is engaged to the love of her life, and everything seems perfect for her until she finds her fiance flirting with his partner at the detective agency. In a flurry of betrayal and heartbreak, she finds herself with the mysterious and sexy owner of the hotel, and then...she's pregnant. And all of the plans she had for her life and her relationship with her fiance start to upend, and the story is her relationship with both men and her family, how she makes things work, and a lot of passion and drama and thrills ensue.

I really enjoyed this book. It had me laughing and swooning and gasping at all the right moments, and being such a big fan of the show just added so much to the experience because there were a lot of subtle references and parallel characters that matched the characters on the show, but you're not going to understand them unless you've seen the show. But that doesn't mean you can't enjoy the story if you haven't watched the show, so if a sexy, dramatic historical romance book is up your alley, then I'd definitely say give this book a try! It's also less than 240 pages, so it's very quick to breeze through and it will have you hooked from start to finish.

My favorite part of this book was definitely the ending. (Spoilers in this paragraph, so please skip to the next one if you haven't read the book yet!) It mirrors the wedding of Michael and Jane in the show, but then it also gives them a fairytale ending that they didn't necessarily have on their real wedding night in the show, so the last few chapters of the book are really romantic and it makes your heart flutter and I was totally swooning super hard. I couldn't put the book down in the last few pages! 

My only critique of this book is that it felt a bit rushed to me, even though I know it's because the show itself has a lot of drama of going on. So, I guess since I know the entirety of the show and all of the details of all of the events, I noticed the parts that were missing in the book. But maybe people that haven't watched the show won't notice -- so maybe it's just something that stood out to me but isn't really a big deal in the long run. So that's my own take on that, and that was the only thing about the book that I wasn't super crazy about. But the rest had me hooked from start to finish, and I fell in love from the first page. It reminded me why I loved the show so much.

Overall, I really loved Snow Falling. This book had me laughing and smiling and brought back all the feels from the beginning few seasons of the show that I loved so much. I think turning Jane's story into a real-life novel was a really creative and awesome idea, and I'm so excited that I got a copy of this book for Christmas and I have a chance to read it! Whether or not you watch Jane the Virgin, this book is filled with drama and heartache and a swoon-worthy romance that will have you hooked from beginning to end, so you definitely want this one on your radar! 





No comments

Please note that if your comment doesn’t appear right away, it’s because we have to approve it. Make sure to click the Notify Me box so you can check back once your comment has been approved! ❤️